The President of Mongolia (Mongolian: Монгол Улсын Ерөнхийлөгч, Mongol Ulsyn Yerönkhiilögch) is the Executive Head of state of Mongolia.
The president is elected by the citizens of Mongolia. Political parties with representation in the State Great Khural nominate candidates. The president serves a non-repeatable four-year term. The president can be removed from office if two-thirds of the Khural find him guilty of abusing his powers or violating his oath. Before inauguration, however, the president-elect must suspend their membership of any political party.
Powers of President :
- Nominating a candidate for the office of Prime Minister, who is then approved or rejected by the State Great Khural (parliament). This is a ceremonial responsibility, as the Khural will most likely reject any nominee who is not its own choice – in effect, the prime minister is appointed by the Khural.
- Vetoing the Khural’s legislation (can be overridden with a two-thirds majority)
- Approving judicial appointments
- Appointing the chief judge of the Supreme Court of Mongolia
- Chairing the National Security Council of Mongolia
- Acting as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
- Nominates the prosecutor general, the official in charge of implementing the laws, who is then approved or rejected by the Khural.
- Provides guidelines for the activities of the Government.
|CURRENT PRESIDENT||Elected Year||Terms of Office||Party|
|Khaltmaagiin Battulga Халтмаагийн Баттулга||2017||10 Jul 2017||Incumbent||Democratic Party|
|List of Previous Presidents||Elected Year||Terms of Office||Party|
|Punsalmaagiin Ochirbat (Пунсалмаагийн Очирбат)||–||3 Sep 1990||6 Jun 1993||People’s Revolutionary Party|
|1993||Social Democratic Party|
|1997||People’s Revolutionary Party|
|2001||People’s Revolutionary Party|
|2005||People’s Revolutionary Party|